$750 Bounty: Issue 16416 - Phobos std.uni out of date (should be updated to latest Unicode standard)

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Wed May 6 07:51:28 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-05 21:41:39 +0000, Dmitry Olshansky said:

> Felt a bit like cheating. Russian traditions preclude taking money for things
> you (think you) wanted to do anyway.

Well, that's a good habit and still IMO it's OK to offer and take an incentive.

> I started on it, and it turned out a bit more then I hope for + I'm
> doing it on simple Windows workstation without much of my usual power
> tools. LDC for Windows works like a charm though.
>
> It seems Unicode 13.0.0 pulled a plug on a couple of "derived" tables,
> that is data files that can be reconsturcted from other primary ones.
> Took at least half an hour to figure that out and rebuild the missing
> bits.
>
> If you don't mind I'll go with 100$ per hour estimate which is
> basically my usual contract rate. It took me about 2 hours for now, and
> I think I'd be done in a one or two more.

Great and deal.

> Merging this into Phobos though is the otehr 90% of the legwork, I hope
> somebody will help me with that and maybe we'll just split your
> generous bounty this way.

Sure. As said, I'm not totally sure how this code-merging process
works, who can do it, who approves things (if at all) or if it's enough
of the automated tests don't fail.

> I mean I know what this table does by its usage but the codegen part is
> missing, likely a classic missing commit problem of being a single
> maintainer of the codegen tool (and the fact that it's not in the main
> dlang repos).

Got it.

> Absolutely. I mean I'm in no shape to do the heavy lifting of day in
> day out maintanance of std.* stuff but I'd love to coach somebody to
> learn how std.regex and std.uni work. I can also share my vision for
> improvement, and will gladly help with refactoring.

With focus on std.uni I think what would help is a short description of
the whole process. A context setting chapter "unicode pitfalls,
important things to know, general process" and a "step-by-step"
description/log of what needs to be done, what the step does and where
it fits into the overall picture.

Just found out that std.regex is from you too... nice.

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com