GCC 10.1 Released

Matthias Klumpp mak at debian.org
Thu May 14 17:27:33 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 16:57:20 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> As of last week (7th May), GCC 10.1 has now been released.
>
> For the D language front-end, only a small number of
> incremental, but substantial changes have gone in.  Most
> notable of the lot has been the addition of `static foreach`,
> which makes the front-end (the C++ port of DMD) feature
> complete with DMD version 2.076.1.  There is also now a
> configurable separation between building Druntime and Phobos,
> which has allowed many targets to have gained library support
> for building a D runtime library by disabling the build of
> Phobos.
>
> [...]

Hey Iain!
I love your summary and plans (can you do this more often? ^^),
and just wanted to say kudos for the work you do on this! As far
as the Linux world is concerned, getting GDC into GCC and keeping
it well-integrated and up-to-date it is a major thing to get D
established as first-class supported language.
Having that D binding generator will be even more useful for
integrating D with existing, bigger codebases written in C or C++.
Keep up the great work! (And I'll get that dub package rebuilt
against GDC 10.1 in Debian ASAP ^^)
Cheers,
     Matthias

P.S: As a distribution developer, I would love LDC and GDC to be
ABI-compatible, so we wouldn't have to choose a global default...
But that's probably an unlikely thing to change anytime soon.