GCC 10.1 Released

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Thu May 14 21:59:04 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 19:39:27 UTC, M.M. wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 16:57:20 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> As of last week (7th May), GCC 10.1 has now been released.
>>
>> For the D language front-end, only a small number of
>> incremental, but substantial changes have gone in.  Most
>> notable of the lot has been the addition of `static foreach`,
>> which makes the front-end (the C++ port of DMD) feature
>> complete with DMD version 2.076.1.  There is also now a
>> configurable separation between building Druntime and Phobos,
>> which has allowed many targets to have gained library support
>> for building a D runtime library by disabling the build of
>> Phobos.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Great work! Great plans! I wish you good luck with your goals,
> and hope you can attract people to help you. Did you ever
> consider to mentor a student for Google-summer-of-code?

We (Amaury and I) did interview a couple of potential students a
number of years back, possibly the only time GSOC accepted the
Dlang submission.  Nothing came out of it, which was just as well
really as all ideas I had were really vague. Besides, I didn't
feel like there was much that could be done while D was still not
integrated into GCC.

Haven't thought much about it since though.