DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Formal Assessment

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu May 21 18:36:51 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 05:49:27PM +0000, Paul Backus via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
[...]
> I think the real problem here is the lack of communication. As it
> stands, we have no way to tell whether feedback was considered or
> ignored, or what the ultimate rationale behind this decision was--we
> can only speculate.

I've said pretty much the same thing before, but it seems to have fallen
on deaf ears. :-/  What's frustrating to the community isn't primarily
the technical aspects (though of course, that's also a factor), but the
human aspect of communication. Or rather, the lack thereof.

I'd even grant that Walter, being BFDL, can make whatever arbitrary
decisions he wants, but at the very least acknowledge the existence of
the rest of us.  "Accepted without comment" amounts to denial that we
even exist, considering how much feedback was given on this DIP.  Even a
"accepted in spite of community feedback" is better than "without
comment".

(Maybe our virtual non-existence might ultimately become actual
non-existence as this community shrinks to zero. :-P)

> Even if we suppose for the sake of argument that the decision is sound
> on a technical level, this is poor leadership, and bodes ill for the
> future of the D language and its community.

D excels at the technical aspects, but time and time again has shown
that it lacks proper management / leadership.  Contrary to my own
inclinations I'm compelled to suggest hiring a *non-technical* person to
take up the management/leadership roles (emphatically non-technical,
because let's face it, we techies just don't have the people skillz it
takes to do this properly), because the current situation clearly isn't
working, and is quite detrimental to D and its future.

Computers shouldn't beep through the keyhole.