DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Formal Assessment

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu May 21 20:46:09 UTC 2020

On 5/21/2020 9:14 AM, Seb wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 13:51:34 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> DIP 1028, "Make @safe the Default", has been accepted without comment.
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/accepted/DIP1028.md
>
> "without comment" - even though there were a lot of unaddressed problems :/

I did address, several times over, the problems in the discussion thread.

> Great! So what's the entire point of this process?
> To give people the illusion of progress and participation?

Consider that several of my own DIPs were rejected due to community response.

> Why we can't we have a technical board where the community can vote in experts
> and potentially companies could even buy a seat for $$$ which would mean a lot
> more for them than the current very vague sponsorship options.
> I'm aware that Walter doesn't like the idea of giving up ownership, but it makes
> all the other people question why they should still bother with this process and
> not simply fork and move to an open, transparent development...

I expected flak from this decision. I'm prepared to take the flak because this
is the right decision. I did not make it lightly.

Please keep in mind that I've made other unpopular decisions that have proven
their worth over time. I hope you'll reserve judgement until we all see how this
change plays out.

If it does turn out badly, it's on me and I'll take my lumps.