DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Formal Assessment

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Thu May 21 23:49:22 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 16:32:32 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 16:14:02 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> Why we can't we have a technical board where the community can
>> vote in experts and potentially companies could even buy a
>> seat for $$$ which would mean a lot more for them than the
>> current very vague sponsorship options.
>
> ditto, I think we should have like a seven person elected DIP
> committee who pass/fail things by majority vote. It is obvious
> to me that the current process is totally useless.

As noted earlier, I'm with Steve, Seb, Adam, and "everyone but
Walter" as far as I can see.  If this stands we'll have gone from
@safe meaning "the compiler is responsible" to "the compiler
can't guarantee anything unless you're pure D all the way down".

Atila, what's your take on all this?  Is it fork time?