DIP1028 - Rationale for accepting as is

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Fri May 22 13:57:27 UTC 2020

On Friday, 22 May 2020 at 12:47:04 UTC, matheus wrote:

> As an end user, I'd like to know if this language will be
> guided by community or one person, because it seems the
> "democracy" is very shallow right now.
>
> And again why waste time with this process plus 2 rounds of
> discussion?
>
> I mean just do it and tell in this announcement section about
> the feature.

The DIP review process is not intended for community approval or
rejection of DIPs. It's not a democratic voting process. It's
intended to elicit community feedback to enhance the DIP under
review (the Feedback Threead) and to allow the airing of opinions
(the Discussion Thread). All DIP authors have the freedom to
incorporate suggestions into their DIP or not, and Walter and
Atila make the decision to accept or reject. If you look at the
history of Walter's DIPs, they *do* take the opinions into
consideration even when he is the author. Several of his previous
DIPs have been withdrawn or rejected.

If a popular DIP is rejected, it means neither of them were
convinced by opinion to accept it. And, as in the case for this
DIP, if an unpopular DIP is accepted, it means they were not
persuaded by the arguments against it.

 From my perspective, the process is working as intended, despite
the comments to the contrary in this thread. You either convince
a DIP author to modify his DIP, or you don't. You either persuade
Walter and Atila to accept or reject it, or you don't.