DIP1028 - Rationale for accepting as is

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun May 24 09:10:50 UTC 2020

On 5/23/2020 11:26 PM, Bruce Carneal wrote:
> I don't believe that you or any other competent programmer greenwashes safety
> critical code.  Regardless, the safety conscious must review their dependencies
> whatever default applies.

That's the theory. But we do, for various reasons. I've seen it a lot over the
years, at all levels of programming ability. It particularly happens when
someone needs to get the code compiling and running, and the error message is
perceived as a nuisance getting in the way.

We should be very careful about adding nuisances to the language that make it
easier to greenwash than to do the job correctly.