DIP1028 - Rationale for accepting as is

Clarice cl at ar.ice
Mon May 25 17:09:50 UTC 2020

On Monday, 25 May 2020 at 16:47:50 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> the compiler must warn D programmers that their declarations
> need to be reviewed for compatibility with @safe-by-default.
> Whether they were reviewed before that or not makes no
> difference.

I'm not an engineer; I'm not learned in CS. So some clarification
on this would be nice: if you're pulling in C code, or any code
written in an unsafe language, wouldn't the developers doing such
a thing already be aware they need to do their due diligence?
Foreign code isn't just going to magically appear in your
codebase, right? Maybe through dependencies, but one should check
those too, eh? (And if the dependency tree is needlessly large,
then the language has another, maybe bigger, problem à la the NPM
ecosystem.)