DIP1028 - Rationale for accepting as is

Petar Petar
Tue May 26 06:55:31 UTC 2020

On Monday, 25 May 2020 at 23:39:33 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> [..]

Thank you, Andrei, you've put this quite eloquently. With more
than 200+ replies, unfortunately, this whole discussion looks
like an excessively inefficient use of the community's time.

One way to resolve this stalemate (which I've proposed in another
post) is to split off the point of contention from DIP1028. In
other words, amend the newly proposed compiler switch
`-preview=safedefault` to not change the meaning of non-extern(D)
function declarations and introduce a new compiler switch
`-implicitly-{safe,trusted}-extern-fn-decls` (*) that adds the
automatic "greenwashing" functionality that Walter desires so
much.

(*) I think that `-implicitly-safe-extern-fn-decls` would be lie,
but `-implicitly-trusted-extern-fn-decls` I can tolerate.