DIP1028 - Rationale for accepting as is

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Wed May 27 09:59:56 UTC 2020

On 27/05/2020 9:50 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> BTW, one good thing that has come out of this issue is people are
> strongly in favor of what @safe does. That bodes well for DIP1000 and
> the @live code, for a long time I seemed to be the only one who cared
> about it.

Most of the arguments against @safe by default I have seen over the
years (including from me) originate in /how/ to make it default, not in
it becoming the default.

For me at least, I will not ever want to use @live, pointers with
multiple behaviors depending on how it is used which don't change the
syntax? No thanks, I thought we had learned that was a bad idea.

But a head const storage class that handles lifetimes with no extra
syntax thanks to DIP25/1000, yes please! I will use that.