Rationale for accepting DIP 1028 as is

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Thu May 28 12:28:16 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 09:21:09 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> He did unfortunately manage to convince Atila, so the DIP has
> been accepted, but based on the discussions, I think that you
> may be the only person I've seen say anything positive about
> the DIP treating extern(C) functions as @safe.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I think Walter had to make a tough call with many tradeoffs. The
defining feature of engineering I would say.

Is he wrong? Maybe, I don't know. The obvious path is far from
always being a winner.

If it does come back to haunt him, he can always add a DIP to
make extern(!D) @system by default. It won't invalidate any work.