Rationale for accepting DIP 1028 as is

Arine arine1283798123 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 21:57:17 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 12:28:16 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 09:21:09 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> He did unfortunately manage to convince Atila, so the DIP has
>> been accepted, but based on the discussions, I think that you
>> may be the only person I've seen say anything positive about
>> the DIP treating extern(C) functions as @safe.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> I think Walter had to make a tough call with many tradeoffs.
> The defining feature of engineering I would say.
>
> Is he wrong? Maybe, I don't know. The obvious path is far from
> always being a winner.

A winner for what. The reasoning given doesn't make sense. Lots
of people have pointed that out, and Walter has yet to expand on
that.

> If it does come back to haunt him, he can always add a DIP to
> make extern(!D) @system by default. It won't invalidate any
> work.

That's worse. It'll cause huge breakage again if you need to
convert extern(C) back to @system after it was converted to
@safe. If @system by default proves to be a mistake, you can just
flip it to @safe and it won't break any code. Why take a gamble
on something that can't be rationalized?