DIP 1028 "Make @safe the Default" is dead

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Sat May 30 09:09:34 UTC 2020

On Friday, 29 May 2020 at 04:53:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> The subject says it all.
>
> If you care about memory safety, I recommending adding `safe:`
> as the first line in all your project modules, and annotate
> individual functions otherwise as necessary. For modules with C
> declarations, do as you think best.

I don't think this is the best way forward.

Though I've only skim read the discussion thread (mostly only
reading posts by those I know in person), I am inferring that
both extremes - extern @safe and extern @system - both suffer
from the same defect in DIP 1018 with regards to the greenwashing
problem.  It also looks like all current suggestions for a
compromise on the matter are pretty woeful as well (though I
don't pretend to have read them all).

It seems that there will have to be some restrictions in place
that prevent inappropriate annotations, at the cost of long
deprecations and breaking existing code.

I don't see any point in listing any such rules though unless the
dip process is restarted.