Preparing for Google Summer of Code 2021

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 10:46:01 UTC 2020

Recently, Google put out an announcement on the GSoC mailing list
about their plans for GSoC 2021. They're doing things differently
this time.

A big change is that the event is being cut down to 10 weeks,
with 2 evaluations rather than 3. That means we will need to
think of project ideas that fit into a shorter time period than
in the past.

Everyone, please start thinking of suitable projects and
submitting your ideas to the dlang/projects repository:

https://github.com/dlang/projects

Mentor stipends on the new schedule are set at $400, so it's not
much less than before. We encourage those of you with solid D
experience, or domain experience related to any of the potential
projects in the repository above, to put yourself forward as a
potential mentor.

They're also relaxing the eligibility requirements to allow
participation from a broader range of applicants:

"In 2020 there are many ways students are learning and we want to
acknowledge that so we will be allowing students who are 18 years
old AND currently enrolled (or accepted into) a post-secondary
academic program as of May 17, 2021 or have graduated from a
post-secondary academic program between December 1, 2020 and May
17, 2021 to apply to the GSoC program.

What this means is that now the program will be open to folks
participating in a variety of different academic programs, not
just accredited university programs. This includes licensed
coding camps, community colleges, and many other programs that
may not be accredited yet but are post-secondary academic
programs."