MIR vs. Numpy

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Wed Nov 18 13:01:42 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 at 10:05:06 UTC, Tobias Schmidt
wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> to compare MIR and Numpy in the HPC context, we implemented a
> multigrid solver in Python using Numpy and in D using Mir and
> perforemd some benchmarks with them.
>
> You can find our code and results here:
> https://github.com/typohnebild/numpy-vs-mir

Nice numbers. I’m not a Python guy but I was under the impression
that Numpy actually is written in C, so that when you benchmark
Numpy you’re mostly benchmarking C, not Python. Therefore I had
expected the Numpy performance to be much closer to D’s. An
important factor I think, which I’m not sure you have discussed
(didn’t look too closely), is the compiler backend that was used
to compile D and Numpy. Then again, as a user one is mostly
interested in the out-of-the-box performance, which this seems to
be a good measure of.

— Bastiaan.