DIP 1030-- Named Arguments--Formal Assessment

ddcovery antoniocabreraperez at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 16:20:30 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 17 September 2020 at 12:59:05 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 September 2020 at 12:58:06 UTC, Mike Parker
> wrote:
>> DIP 1030, "Named Arguments", has been accepted.
>>

> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/accepted/DIP1030.md

Fantastic news.

The fact that it is a caller decision to use or not names
emphasizes the D "syntax sugar" oriented conventions (like "dot
notation"): same method can be called using the way it fits
better with your on convention.

countOcurrences("hello", "e");
"hello".countOcurrences("e");
"hello".countOcurrences(of:"e"),
countOcurrences(of:"e", in:"hello");

I use rdmd as scripting tool, and I have to say that I will adopt
immediately named parameters usage:  in addition to scope(...),
ranges and the simplicity/power of the standard library, D
becomes an expressive and powerful scripting language.