New language based on D

Faux Amis faux at amis.com
Wed Nov 18 20:42:02 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-12 20:00, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 15:28:44 UTC, Faux Amis wrote:
>
>> Maybe these type of subset languages could be integrated in the D
>> frontpage.
>
> I hope not. That would create lots of problems:
>
> - There are multiple versions of the language.
> - What happens when a version dies? What do you tell the developers
> (perhaps even businesses) that relied on a version they downloaded from
> the official homepage that now have a dead version?
> - What if a developer makes weird changes (like removing int, which
> would still be a subset) or goes Windows-only because of the burden
> maintaining for multiple OSes? Is that something that should be promoted
> on the official homepage?
>
> These are just the problems that immediately come to mind. I'm sure
> there are others. Open source is wonderful because it lets things like
> this happen. That doesn't mean we want to promote them on dlang.org.

I wasn't clear before. The subset I was thinking about would only be
supervisual; the basic-D documentation and tutorials would only touch
those parts that would be part of the basic-D version. The underlying
compiler would just be the normal dmd compiler, nothing changed.

I thik that within D there is a nice novice language lurking, but it is
hidden by all the complex parts.