mir-stat

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Thu Oct 8 19:33:53 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 8 October 2020 at 18:17:30 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 October 2020 at 17:53:53 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> Thanks for this great piece of software. Does Mir provides
>> s.th. similar like Pandas DataFrame, especially the feature to
>> give columns a name and marking as inde x columns?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Andre
>
> Magpie [1] was an initial effort as a summer of code project.
> The last commit was September 2019.
>
> There is also some basic support in mir (example at [2]). Ilya
> can speak more about long-term plans for enhancing that.
>
> One limitation in mir is that Slice's only allow for the same
> type throughout. For instance, a Slice!(double*, 1u) is a
> 1-dimensional slice of doubles. Data frames in R or Pandas
> DataFrames allow for columns with different types, so for
> instance you can calculate some summary statistic based on some
> category (like color). So to really get the same functionality,
> you need to support slices with heterogeneous types.
>
> [1] https://github.com/Kriyszig/magpie
> [2]
> https://github.com/libmir/mir-algorithm/blob/f30ccd9f7abc63166c9179e04b2817bf656764bd/source/mir/ndslice/allocation.d#L330

Thanks for these info. Magpie looks huge and really useful. I
will give it a try.

I am also highly interested in the long term plans of Mir, as you
explained the current limitations. Still in my scenario it is
always the same type. A 2d array of doubles, read from parquet
files, transformed and written into a new parquet file.

Kind regards
Andre