LDC 1.24.0-beta1

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 18:12:14 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 20 October 2020 at 17:36:11 UTC, kinke wrote:
> [snip]
>
> See https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/1754. I
> personally never download the DMD installers, only the .7z. I
> also don't use a global PATH set up to point to a particular
> LDC installation. I expect the vast majority of Windows *devs*
> to prefer a simple download&unpack over some installer. Those
> wanting to click through setup steps can use the VisualD
> installer with bundled LDC.

I'm sympathetic to Ilya's concerns in that thread, but it would
help to get empirical. What about a calculation of the number of
unique downloads for DMD's Windows installer vs. those who
download the .7z? The .7z probably has more downloads for CIs,
but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a larger share of people
downloading the DMD installer than you think.

I also have a PATH set up to point to a particular LDC
installation that I need to update whenever I upgrade LDC. It has
caused me problems in the past when I forget to change it...

I don't recall ever using the VisualD installer to install LDC.