Computing the next SemVer for dlang packages with dsemver

Guillaume Piolat first.name at gafam.com
Wed Oct 21 15:41:47 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 21 October 2020 at 14:47:14 UTC, Robert burner
Schadek wrote:
> Semantic versioning is useful, but 0.x.x versioning is a
> pointless loophole. When a piece of D software is published,
> and it is published if other people can find it on dub, it is
> released. And released means 1.0.0 at least.

Agree. Or we won't ever have a dependable ecosystem. Please
provide guarantees.
Success of D is success of building upon the ecosystem of
libraries.

Something that people must consider to avoid too much major
version tags is:
- delay breaking changes and pack the breaking change at once
- **have a small (and agreeable) public API surface**, use
private and package identifier that are allowed to change spec
- provide a changelog to go from a major to another major tag, no
one want to read your git commits
- a system of option using `version` identifier to make something
similar to DMDFE's -preview. Configuration to gain compat at the
expense of simplicity (option count can grow wildly).