LDC 1.24.0-beta1

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 20:21:39 UTC 2020

On Friday, 23 October 2020 at 18:01:19 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 October 2020 at 20:09:58 UTC, aberba wrote:
>> Supposing I'm new to D, I have previous experience with
>> LLVM-based compilers so I prefer to use LDC. How am I supposed
>> to know what to do? Where is the information on how to get it
>> on my system through visualD installer?
>>
>> The LDC experience needs some improvement here.
>
> Supposedly they will want an IDE with everything included in
> one installer, like Visual Studio, and that's what VisualD
> installer apparently does.

Not saying Kinke SHOULD do it. Was rather disagreeing with the
idea that "developers" don't use installers. And that's a
shortcoming with the LDC project...no straightforward way to set
it up on Windows using an installer. If visuald supports LDC, why
not point people to it.

LDC at its current state is a small fraction of DMD, why?
Convenience. That's the core difference. And convenience sells.

And this is only a Windows problem ( started using Windows few
weeks ago and now seeing devs don't provide an installer).

Now someone is going to tell me as always (I think its already
said) to go do it myself. I don't really see it as a priority for
me ATM as I know how to do without an installer. But just know
that all successful languages have Windows installers I've found
the need to use or try. Those that don't are niche and not ready
for mass adoption simple because it easier to use something else
that hacking your way out of a first impression.

Of course we have DMD.

Beginners, if you want an LDC installer then "Go do it yourself".
I wouldn't consider that a good message.