LDC 1.24.0-beta1

starcanopy starcanopy at protonmail.com
Sat Oct 24 00:00:02 UTC 2020

On Friday, 23 October 2020 at 22:48:33 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> On Friday, 23 October 2020 at 20:21:39 UTC, aberba wrote:
>> On Friday, 23 October 2020 at 18:01:19 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Not saying Kinke SHOULD do it. Was rather disagreeing with the
>> idea that "developers" don't use installers. And that's a
>> shortcoming with the LDC project...no straightforward way to
>> set it up on Windows using an installer. If visuald supports
>> LDC, why not point people to it.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I agree with this. Not providing an installer gives the message
> that you're not that interested in people using it.

That's an exaggeration. Every release is accompanied by binaries
that one may easily retrieve. Setting up the dependencies is only
done once, and if you're a Windows developer, such an environment
most likely exists, and you'll likely only have to add the bin to
your path. It's my understanding that there are few people
regularly working on LDC; allocating (voluntary!) manpower to a
nice but non-essential component doesn't seem wise.