Symmetry Investments and the D Language Foundation are Hiring

Petar Petar
Tue Sep 1 16:34:27 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 12:59:00 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 09:09:36 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:
>> On Sunday, 30 August 2020 at 14:13:36 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>> Looking for a full-time or part-time gig? Not only is
>>> Symmetry Investments hiring D programmers, they are also
>>> generously funding two positions for ecosystem work under the
>>> D Language Foundation. And they've put up a bounty for a new
>>> DUB feature. Read all about it here:
>>>
>>> https://dlang.org/blog/2020/08/30/symmetry-investments-and-the-d-language-foundation-are-hiring/
>>
>> As an alternative to use SHA-1 hashing. There's the option to
>> have a daemon running the background listing on filesystem
>> events.
>>
>> BTW, is timestamps vs SHA-1 hashing really the most pressing
>> issue with Dub?
>>
>> --
>> /Jacob Carlborg
>
> Agreed. A server approach would probably scale much better,
> if the intent is to speed up the developer's CTR cycle.
> But in any case, thanks to Symmetry for doing this! This is
> huge.

We need both a fs-watcher daemon support and "offline"
incremental build support, based on SHA-256 (note that git is
moving away from SHA1 to SHA256 [1]). I'd say SHA-256 is cheap
enough these days [2] that I don't see a reason not to use it
even for "online" fs-watcher daemon compilation.

[1]: https://git-scm.com/docs/hash-function-transition/
[2]: https://bench.cr.yp.to/impl-hash/sha256.html