DConf Online 2020 Submission Deadline Extended

bachmeier no at spam.net
Sun Sep 6 12:14:48 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 5 September 2020 at 09:50:44 UTC, FeepingCreature
wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 September 2020 at 04:01:43 UTC, Mike Parker
> wrote:
>> On Monday, 31 August 2020 at 08:36:09 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>> I've received exactly one submission for DConf Online. Two
>>> keynotes + one talk does not make a conference.
>>>
>>> So this is the last call. The deadline has been extended to
>>> Sunday, September 6 AOE. This makes or breaks the conference.
>>> If we don't have enough talks submitted, it ain't happening.
>>>

>> I've gotten one more submission. We'll need more than that.
>> Let's go, folks!
>
> hi
>
> okay, if I'm literally the only one that's kind of problematic,
> yeah. Let's see how it goes on Sunday.
>
> I'd guess that ... like, either ultimately a structured online
> conference just isn't something people are interested in or
> think is useful, or the effort of recording videos poses too
> much of a roadblock. You wouldn't think that flying to London
> would be more effort than making a video, but it wouldn't
> surprise me. Or right now maybe people are keeping their ideas
> for the next in-person DConf, so if Corona keeps up we'd see
> more talks next year.
>
> You know what, let's ask. Anyone here who considered submitting
> but didn't, would you share why not?

I might have done so, but the pandemic has increased my workload
so much that my major decisions now involve deciding which parts
of my job I can't do. Adding something else to the todo list is a
pre-pandemic concept.

That said, I will be recording videos that involve the use of D,
it's just that they'll be very specialized applications for my
grad students rather than some of interest to a general audience.