Debugging improvements - Visual Studio Natvis, GDB, LLDB

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 20:05:30 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 6 April 2021 at 21:04:47 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
> I have created editor independent pretty printers /
> visualization files for Visual Studio's debugger\*, GDB and
> LLDB.
>
> The script and setup guide are available here:
> https://github.com/Pure-D/dlang-debug

This is great. Pretty-printing of associative arrays is a pretty
big deal!

I'm having problems setting it up though.

You say the configuration is bundled since code-d 0.23.0 but the
newest version VSCode lets me select is `0.22.0 (1 year ago)`.
When manually adding the script in `setupCommands` of my cppdbg
configuration:

```
{
	"description": "Load D GDB type extensions",
	"ignoreFailures": false,
	"text": "-interpreter-exec console \"source
/path/to/gdb_dlang.py\""
}
```

It said `Undefined command: "import"` referring to line 1 `import
gdb.printing`. It looks like it's interpreting `gdb_dlang.py` as
a shell script, so I changed `source` to `python`, which gives
the error "Python scripting is not supported in this copy of GDB".
I have `GNU gdb (Debian 8.2.1-2+b3) 8.2.1`.

Maybe my version is too old (I'm used to that on Debian), or I
need to install some other module. I'll look into it later.