dmdtags 1.0.0: an accurate tag generator for D source code

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 06:06:39 UTC 2021

On Friday, 27 August 2021 at 22:45:15 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:

> I'm just worried about how the memory usage will grow with
> this, considering dmd never frees.

Still not sure if it *should* be used in same process, but DMD
definitely has -lowmem switch for turning on GC, and for DMD as a
library there is initDMD() and deinitializeDMD() pair.

Haven't tested it myself wrt. to memory usage, but it is used by
DMD tests.
Another concern would be code analysis time, even with skipping
semantic passes every run is a new invocation - DMD simply wasn't
designed to be a language server where it could just iteratively
update compilation database.

IIRC VisualD with DMD frontend enabled has noticable long pauses
on showing completion (from 100ms to few seconds on larger
projects), which renders it unusable for me. Could be that same
reason, no idea.