LDC 1.25.0

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Tue Feb 23 19:32:13 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 23 February 2021 at 18:19:09 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Tested this on one of my projects yesterday. For -O3, it
> reduced compile time by about ~26%.  For -O, it reduced compile
> time by about 24%.  Not as much as I'd hoped, but still pretty
> big reductions.

Thx for some numbers. [Note that -O == -O3 == -O4 == -O5, they
are all the same (at least for now), contrary to what you might
read somewhere.]
A reduction by 25%, i.e., a 1.33x speed-up, for code that is
guaranteed to be at least as fast as before (higher cross-module
inlining potential) isn't too bad, aye? :)

> For non-optimized builds, it reduced compile times by only 1-2%
> (pretty insignificant).

I find it rather interesting that it isn't any slower. Compiling
debug Phobos all-at-once took 67% longer on my box (and increased
the static lib size by 76%). Without -O, I've only seen some
improvements with `-unittest`.

Some more numbers on my box:

https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/3600#issuecomment-729116599
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/3422#issuecomment-661386233