LDC 1.25.0

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 19:57:04 UTC 2021

On Monday, 22 February 2021 at 11:57:46 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> This article explains the basics:
> https://www.snsystems.com/technology/tech-blog/clang-time-trace-feature

Thank you! I opened the trace of my project in chrome://tracing
and found that the majority of semantic analysis was spent on
instantiations of `std.conv: text`. I replaced them and
compilation time went down from 2.1 to 1.6 seconds, which I think
is a big win!

> There is definitely room for improvement, but it requires user
> feedback and consideration of their different use cases.

I'm already happy with what is there, but so far the most
annoying part is that chrome's viewer is terribly slow and
unresponsive. It can easily take a minute to load a trace, after
which it runs at 1 frame per second, so I'm looking for an
alternative.

The article mentions Speedscope, but my first impression isn't
that great: it's still slow, and the interface is not
self-explanatory unlike Chrome's.

In the PR you mentioned tracy*, but I'm still looking at how to
compile it for Linux since the release only seems to include
Windows binaries. I guess I'll try it out on Windows first.

*https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/3624#issuecomment-735446453