Printing shortest decimal form of floating point number with Mir

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 15:53:44 UTC 2021

On Monday, 4 January 2021 at 15:42:05 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Monday, 4 January 2021 at 15:25:13 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 19:59:56 UTC, Ola Fosheim
>> Grøstad wrote:
>>> 1. acknowledgment of the issue
>>> 2. acknowledgment of what the issue leads to in terms of
>>> inconvenience
>>> 3. a forward looking vision for future improvements
>>
>> Your two #1 points aren't the same -
>> understanding/acknowledging the issue. I think I could have
>> done more to acknowledge it now that you brought it up.
>
> In this case, maybe #1 and #2 are the same. But sometimes
> people will complain about the "inconvenience" and not drill it
> down to the real cause in terms of language-mechanics.
>
> A valid response could be "I will look and see if I can find
> the source of this problem, but I totally see the inconvenience
> you are experiencing. We will look at this more closely when
> planning for release X.Y.Z where we do an overhaul of subsystem
> Q.".
>
> I don't think a process oriented response has to be more
> concrete than that?

I wasn't a process-oriented answer, nor do I think it should have
been. The PR was a change to the compiler with an accompanying
DIP. I'm a fan of giving an opinion early to save everyone a lot
of work and bother.