Printing shortest decimal form of floating point number with Mir

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 18:59:31 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 5 January 2021 at 18:48:06 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 January 2021 at 18:06:32 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> My main concern is that we need to attract more people with a
>> strong comp.sci. background because as a language grow it
>> becomes more tricky to improve and the most difficult topics
>> are the ones that remain unresolved (like we see with @live,
>> shared and GC).
>
> I don't have that background myself, so I don't think I can
> provide any insight here.

Well, what I mean is that it is not so bad if D is perceived as
an "enthusiast language", then you don't expect a flawless
implementation. If the language spec outline something that is
"beautiful" (also in a theoretical sense) and show where the
implementation needs some love then people can contribute in
areas they are interested in. If the spec is so-so, then it will
be a revolving door...

>> It probably would be a good idea to focus on one subsystem at
>> a time. Refactor, document, make a list of priority
>> improvements for that subsystem, and then improve/reimplement,
>> document, then move on to the next subsystem.
>>
>> If memory management is in the center now, then that is great,
>> but then maybe the next cycle could take another look at the
>> type system as a whole.
>
> I'm afraid I don't have anything profound to contribute here
> either. I have no idea how to manage a group of volunteers
> (including Walter).

Most people will shy away from the difficult, tedious or boring
bits, so by keeping focus on one subsystem at a time, one could
hope that the difficult/tedious/boring bits receive more
attention... (Nothing specific for D, just human behaviour.)