Please Congratulate My New Assistant

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jan 25 01:20:20 UTC 2021

On 1/24/2021 5:49 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> There is certainly useful work to be done in the issue tracker. I am here
> objecting to certain systematic destructive practices that do not even have any
> upside. I wish this kind of behavior would stop forever. You are not the first
> person to engage into careless issue closing sprees. I think the underlying
> issue is a bad understanding of the value of issues in the issue tracker and
> some sort of irrational assignment of cost to open issues. Walter always says:
> Put this in bugzilla, it will get lost on the forums, and he is right.

You're right this has come up before.

I strongly oppose closing Issues and PRs just because they are old. There must
be a better and conclusive reason to close them.

We had a recent discussion about what to do with stale PRs that are years old. I
opposing closing them without a conclusive reason for closing. The stale PRs do
pose "drag" on things like the autotester. What I'd like is a "backburner"
category for PRs, but there doesn't seem to be such a feature. So what we came
up with was:

1. If it doesn't have a bugzilla issue, make a bugzilla issue for it.
2. Put a link to the stale PR in that issue.
3. Close, but do not delete, the PR.

This makes these PRs still accessible via bugzilla, and bugzilla has much better
categorization abilities than github PRs do.