D Language Foundation Monthly Meeting Summary

JN 666total at wp.pl
Thu Jun 3 22:40:50 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 29 May 2021 at 00:30:38 UTC, zjh wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 May 2021 at 00:26:54 UTC, zjh wrote:
>> Good,maybe we can raise our sounding slogan "Better C++" again!
>
> There are too many talents in C++
> We must attract them.
> Only them can make d great!Because they are library writer.
> They can make d great.

I disagree. Attracting C++ folks doesn't seem to work. You may
try to lure them with promises of nicer templates and no header
files, but after a while they will complain about the garbage
collector and go back to their new C++ draft standard.

If you advertise yourself as Better C++, you are instantly
setting yourself up for comparison and are turning away everyone
who dislikes C++ in the first place.

Rust doesn't advertise itself as "Safe C++", Go doesn't advertise
itself as "Native Java", Zig doesn't advertise itself as "Better
C".