D Language Foundation Monthly Meeting Summary

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri Jun 4 21:35:43 UTC 2021

On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 19:56:06 UTC, sighoya wrote:

> This uniformization sounds too good to be true. I think most
> people think that, but it's simply not true. malloc/free is
> incompatible to garbage collection.

This is true and even druntime has a malloc/free option for the
GC. However, its implementation is really bad. Also the
implementation of the current GC has a lot of room for
improvements. It is still not appropriate for many embedded
systems as it requires another layer that steals CPU time and
code memory.

In the case of Phobos, in order to make as versatile as possible
it shall not assume any other layer than malloc/free.

> I'm asking myself, even if we don't care about the cons, would
> that at all be possible with a ~20 years old language with a
> ~20 years of ecosystem evolution. How many things need to be
> rewritten?

D certainly has the power to do so but the question is if there
is any will power in this community. Nothing has happened for
almost 20 years.