D Language Foundation Monthly Meeting Summary

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 08:51:07 UTC 2021

On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 18:34:32 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> You might be surprised, but it's actually not up to you what
> topic fits or not.

This is the announce forum, so it is kinda misplaced, but we are
all contributing to this so... :)

> Obviously GC is good for some things and not good at all for
> other things.

The problem is that the D-style GC is not a good fit for anything
interactive, beyond simple applications.

My impression is that most people use D for batch programs, so I
guess that shapes the opinion. And that is a problem for D. A bad
GC-strategy is reinforced by the remaining majority, which is a
tiny fraction of the overall programming community.

These days you don't really need a system level language to write
batch programs. So it is not a good strategy to hold onto this
specific type of stop-everything-scan-everything GC. Unless D
decides to not be a system level language, but then you need a
lot more convenience features and become more scripty. The
inbetween position is not the top-pick for anyone looking for a
solution.

Not being willing to switch MM strategy means being stuck on a
tiny island, too afraid of crossing the ocean to get access to
the main land. My impression is that Walter would rather stay on
this tiny island than take any chances.

The language is being extended with incomplete experimental
features, instead of going to the core of the issue and doing
something with the foundation for the language. That is not going
to end well. You'll end up with a patchwork.