D Language Foundation Monthly Meeting Summary

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Jun 5 08:58:47 UTC 2021

On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 21:35:43 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 19:56:06 UTC, sighoya wrote:
>>
>> This uniformization sounds too good to be true. I think most
>> people think that, but it's simply not true. malloc/free is
>> incompatible to garbage collection.
>
> This is true and even druntime has a malloc/free option for the
> GC. However, its implementation is really bad. Also the
> implementation of the current GC has a lot of room for
> improvements. It is still not appropriate for many embedded
> systems as it requires another layer that steals CPU time and
> code memory.

Speaking of embedded,

https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-circuitpython

https://blog.arduino.cc/2019/08/23/tinygo-on-arduino

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/makecode/resources

http://www.ulisp.com/

https://developer.android.com/training/wearables/principles

https://www.microej.com/product/vee/

Meanwhile kids, the future generation of developers, keeps
adopting the hardware and programming languages listed above,
completly oblivious there is a programming language where all
discussion threads turn into GC vs no-GC no matter what was the
original subject.