D Language Foundation Monthly Meeting Summary

Norm norm.rowtree at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 23:04:12 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 5 June 2021 at 08:58:47 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 21:35:43 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 19:56:06 UTC, sighoya wrote:
>>>
>>> This uniformization sounds too good to be true. I think most
>>> people think that, but it's simply not true. malloc/free is
>>> incompatible to garbage collection.
>>
>> This is true and even druntime has a malloc/free option for
>> the GC. However, its implementation is really bad. Also the
>> implementation of the current GC has a lot of room for
>> improvements. It is still not appropriate for many embedded
>> systems as it requires another layer that steals CPU time and
>> code memory.
>
> Speaking of embedded,
>
> https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-circuitpython
>
> https://blog.arduino.cc/2019/08/23/tinygo-on-arduino
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/makecode/resources
>
> http://www.ulisp.com/
>
> https://developer.android.com/training/wearables/principles
>
> https://www.microej.com/product/vee/
>
> Meanwhile kids, the future generation of developers, keeps
> adopting the hardware and programming languages listed above,
> completly oblivious there is a programming language where all
> discussion threads turn into GC vs no-GC no matter what was the
> original subject.

There is also https://micropython.org/

It would not be my choice of language for medical but uPython is
used in a small number of embedded medical devices and has been
ported to several flavours of STM32.

This is a space where D could make a difference, although
unfortunately the language has some dark corner cases and
friction that put some people off to the point where they don't
see any benefit moving to D.