Visual D 1.1.0 released

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Thu Mar 4 17:18:38 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 4 March 2021 at 13:42:47 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 March 2021 at 13:29:11 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 2 March 2021 at 08:58:15 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> A few questions.
>>
>> How hard would the following be:
>>
>> 1. Highlight code as dead or alive in static if
>>
>> 2. Show typeid when hovering over a variable
>>
>> I have gifs showing what I mean. I'll post them when I get
>> back to my laptop.
>
> https://filebin.net/19gupoeedfdjx5tx
>
> One GIF is the behaviour in C# I would like to have in D as
> well with static if, and the other is displaying typeid on
> hover.

It already does this, I would say.

1. The D equivalent of your use of `#if ... #else ... #endif` is
`version() {...} else {...}`, which works in VisualD the same way
as you show. `static if` is different: the condition often
depends on the value of template parameters, so this does not
simply translate to "dead" or "alive" in every case.

2. typeid is a runtime concept (takes inheritance into account)
so this won't work in an editor outside of a debugging session.
However VisualD already shows the (static) type and scope of
variables on mouse-over, which is all you can wish for, I think.

-- Bastiaan.