Release D 2.096.0

starcanopy starcanopy at protonmail.com
Sun Mar 14 18:25:51 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 14 March 2021 at 05:31:27 UTC, Max Haughton wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 March 2021 at 03:25:28 UTC, starcanopy wrote:
>> On Saturday, 13 March 2021 at 21:33:20 UTC, Meta wrote:
>>>
>>> Allow shortened function implementations for
>>> single-expresssion functions.
>>> -preview=shortenedMethods is added. This allows functions to
>>> be written in a similar form to lambda functions:
>>>
>>> // these 2 are equivalent
>>> int foo() { return 1; }
>>> int foo() => 1;
>>> The syntax allows the form => expr to replace the function
>>> body { return expr; }
>>>
>>> Amazing! I had no idea this got in. I love the syntax.
>>
>> It's pretty neat, but a DIP has to be drafted and approved for
>> it to be enabled by default, right? (Unless I missed it.)
>
> Correct. To be completely honest it shouldn't have ever been
> merged since there was no approval from WalTila and they steer
> the language.

Given your status as a member of the Foundation, is there a
plan/track of sorts to convert such a DIP-less -preview feature
to a full-fledged one? I know it's a lot of work to write an
improvement proposal, and deliberation with the community is a
seemingly tiring (but necessary) ordeal, but I'm concerned that
this feature will be in purgatory if its author becomes busy or
forgets about it. (Barring another individual assuming
proprietorship.)