Contacting DlangScience maintainers

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Tue Mar 30 07:51:17 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 30 March 2021 at 02:55:27 UTC, James Blachly wrote:
>> "A visible team can be seen and @mentioned by every member of
>> this organization."
>
> Does this [hiding to non org members] really help D's
> visibility and adoption? What sorts of things are discussed
> that do not benefit from openness? For example, I am a bona
> fide scientist using Dlang, but had no idea dlang-science was
> even an active group (I was aware of the org, and repos, but
> assumed it was not very active)

Hi James

I'll second your sentiment.  I'm a mission support programmer on
various space missions and would like to see what's discussed in
dlang-science.  It appears that D has a lot to offer programmers
in my field.  Like everyone else our data volumes are insane (ex:
2.4 TB for a 6 hour ground radio astronomy observation).  D's
performance combined with it's garbage collector are valuable in
my line of work since everyone's python/matlab/idl code is
grinding to a relative halt.

I could switch to Java and JNI since it would mesh well with
other tools we support, but for now I'm trying out D, and would
like to stay and gain competence in this elegant language.

Other than rudely posting an issue @
https://github.com/DlangScience/NetCDF-D, does anyone know the
right way to start a conversation with DlangScience?  I'm trying
to blend in and learn this community's norms.

--
Chris