D Language Foundation Monthly Meeting Summary

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Fri May 28 14:56:08 UTC 2021

We've just completed our monthly meeting for the month of May
2021. One decision we made is to start providing summaries of the
topics discussed. Hence this forum post.

The participants: Walter, Atila, Andrei, Razvan, Max, and me.

### Goals & Tasks

The primary topic on our agenda for this meeting was a
goal-oriented task list. In place of the old vision documents, we
want to start maintaining a list of our current major long-term
goals and some more minor short-term goals, broken down into
specific tasks. This serves both as the current vision and as a
task list for community members looking to make an impact with
their contributions. For example, Bugzilla issues that fall under
a goal will be labeled as such, so contributors can more
effectively focus their attention. The list will also be used to
guide some of the work our new strike teams will be doing.

We've got a preliminary list of high-level goals that we will
flesh out with specific tasks over the next couple of weeks. For
example, major long-term goals are memory safety (e.g., specific
bugs, fully enabling DIP 1000 support) and Phobos v2. There were
other goals discussed, such as implementing named arguments,
improving compile-time introspection, improving Phobos @safety,
and more. I don't know yet what the initial version of the final
list will look like, but I hope to publish it in the next two or
three weeks.

### Error Messages

We discussed how to improve error messages. Walter exhorts
everyone to please raise a Bugzilla issue for specific error
messages you encounter that you think need improvement. Walter
also said he is open to accepting the implementation of a
command-line switch that enables URLs in error messages to
provide more information.

### Next Meeting

Our next monthly meeting will take place on June 25th. We haven't
yet set the agenda, but a portion of it will be devoted to
following up on some of the topics discussed in today's meeting.