On the Blog: DLang News for September/October 2021

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 16:22:55 UTC 2021

On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 13:22:11 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

> The blog is good for explaining technical material, and has a
> lot of value because of Google, but I agree YouTube is better
> for evangelizing.

There's a rather significant segment of younger programmers who
prefer videos over text even for explaining technical material.
But the main point for me is that YouTube is always working for
us to get our videos in front of new eyes, even when we aren't
posting new content.

We've been pulling in a nice, steady rate of views and
subscribers to our channel since we got all of the DConf Videos
uploaded. Contrast that with the blog, where traffic dips very
low and stays there, only spiking when we post new content. To
keep that level high, we have to regularly publish blog posts.

> One suggestion I have is that the format of PLTalk by Jean Yang
> might be a good fit when you want to get others involved. If
> you're not familiar with it, she has a Zoom chat with someone,
> that person demos whatever they're talking about, and she asks
> clarifying questions. She records the talk and uploads it to
> YouTube. Here's an example that would work well for short demos
> of changes to the language/new libraries/whatever:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kylAbEPcadw&t=712s
>
> You might have other plans, but it's one way to reduce the cost
> for yourself and for others.

Thanks, I'll check it out.