D Language Foundation Quarterly Meeting, October 2021

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 14:02:45 UTC 2021

On Friday, 5 November 2021 at 13:19:30 UTC, Matheus wrote:
> On Friday, 5 November 2021 at 11:57:40 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>
> Nice summary, but why these meetings are no recorded or
> streamed?
>
> Matheus.

I do record the meetings to help me with the summaries. In this
case, I was unable to attend, so the recording was my primary
source. I don't think that would serve any purpose to publish it
or to stream the meetings beyond what the summaries already
provide.

The big issue for me: when people have the public eye on them, it
will inevitably impact what they say in the meeting. One
particular opinion or remark can become the news rather than the
topic about which it was made. We want everyone participating to
be able to speak freely without self-censoring, or worrying about
what viewers would think of any specific thing they say. This is
especially true now that we are inviting contributors to
participate, as some of them may be more reluctant to do so if
their comments are public.

There are also times when we make tentative plans for something
and we don't want to make the details public until we are more
certain that it is going to happen. I see no benefit in exposing
the details of these conversations.

And then there are times when we discuss topics related to one of
the D shops that they don't want to be made public knowledge.
This doesn't just happen in the quarterly meetings when the
industry reps are present, but also sometimes in the smaller
monthly meetings.

And even if we did stream them or publish a recording, I would
still need to write a summary for the people who don't want to
sit through a 2+ hour stream or skim through a recording looking
for the highlights. Consider the summary of the
marketing/ecosystem discussion. That discussion was scattered
throughout the first two hours of the meeting as people kept
coming back to it. Who has the time to skip back and forth
through the video to piece it all together? So I'll have to edit
out any sensitive topics that we discussed *and* write the
summary. No thanks.