D Language Foundation Monthly Meeting Summary (September 24, 2021)

Ki Rill rill.ki at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 15:44:11 UTC 2021

On Friday, 1 October 2021 at 12:32:20 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> [...]

These are great news! As for the new slogan, I believe we need to
put some emphasis on D's modelling power. If I come up with
something decent, I'll post it.

Meanwhile:

(1) Reliable, fast. (2) Safe, not strict. (3) Smooth start,
deploy.

(1) - "no" unexpected surprises, improved memory safety, easy to
catch bugs such as trying to index a pointer in a @safe function,
out-of-bounds array write/read and similar; an almost
instantaneous compilation, performance similar to that of C/C++.
(2) - continuing from (1), it's @safe, but you make the final
choice how far you want to go.
(3) - it's "relatively" easy to start a new project in D using
DUB: `dub init/add/run`. Need a library that's not available in
DUB? Create a D interface to C header file and use it. There are
tools that can automate this process, etc.

I put "..." because it's not always the case.

About (1): I've written some C++ code recently. I was very happy
with the code. I've read the code multiple times in search for
potential bugs and errors. I decided to rewrite some of the code
in D just to see the difference code-wise and performance-wise.
Guess what happened? It didn't compile. I got out-of-bounds
access error in D meanwhile the C++ version ran happily with no
sign of any failure.