Beta 2.098.0

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 10 23:11:56 UTC 2021

On 10/5/2021 10:36 AM, ag0aep6g wrote:
> it's also true that Walter prioritizes new features instead (ImportC is the
> latest fad)

ImportC resolves a long standing serious issue where multiple other substantial
attempts at solving it have fallen short over the years. Unfortunately, ImportC
is useless if it only half works. It has to work with existing C headers, which
is why I'm concentrating on it to get to that point. Lack of ImportC has wasted
a *lot* of developer time, making it a high leverage investment of time.

Just think of all the time lost doing manual conversion of .h files, and then
doing them again and again as they evolve. Then not one, not two, but *three*
different automated programs were developed to try and resolve this (one of
which I wrote). Then think of all the projects *not* done because of the barrier
of trying to deal with several thousand lines of .h files.

The Diemos project was an effort to crowdsource conversion of .h files to D, but
it just was not adequate.

In summary, ImportC is totally worth the effort. I should have done it 15 years ago.