New library: argparse, for parsing CLI arguments

Andrey Zherikov andrey.zherikov at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 01:13:17 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 14 October 2021 at 00:35:11 UTC, Bill Baxter wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 5:30 PM Andrey Zherikov via
> Digitalmars-d-announce < digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 13 October 2021 at 19:26:49 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> > Cool!
>> >
>> > One note - gflags
>> > (https://opensource.google/projects/gflags) allows modules
>> > to define their own flags in a decentralized manner. I've
>> > always thought this is a major feature missing from
>> > std.getopt, but never got around to it. It would be great if
>> > argparse would add such support.
>>
>> This is an interesting approach. I'm not a fan of it but I'll
>> take a look at whether this can be supported.
>>

> Not sure how much change there is over "classic" gflags, but
> https://abseil.io/docs/cpp/guides/flags is what google now uses
> internally.
>
> --bb

Abseil version suggests not to put flags into multiple .cpp files:
- `Allows distributed declaration and definition of flags, though
this usage has drawbacks and should generally be avoided`
- `Prefer to define flags only in the file containing the
binary’s main() function`
- `Prefer to reference flags only from within the file containing
the binary’s main() function`

So I'm a bit confused about supporting this use case