Beta 2.098.0

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 13:53:04 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 19 October 2021 at 13:35:16 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 11.10.21 03:08, Paul Backus wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps worth asking why Walter, specifically, is required to
>> work on @live in order for it to make progress. Is it just
>> because no one else is willing to step up to the plate, or is
>> he the only person qualified/capable enough?
>
> I think @live is a dead end and any further work on it is
> probably wasted unless the code is reusable for some other
> feature. Ownership is a property of values, not of functions
> operating on those values. In particular, prioritizing ImportC
> over @live is the right call. ImportC is high-impact and Walter
> has a lot of relevant expertise.

I this specific case, I agree completely. But there is a broader
pattern in D of projects getting "stuck" because a specific
individual is unable to continue work on them (e.g.,
std.experimental.allocator and Andrei), and I think it is worth
considering whether we can do anything to make future projects
robust against this mode of failure.