Gordon programming language

Tero Hänninen abcd at none.none
Sun Oct 24 10:13:14 UTC 2021

Hello,

decided I'd post about my primarily D-influenced programming
language here.

It's data oriented, compact and despite D's influence, has a very
different personality with no emphasis on metaprogramming –
albeit having simple polymorphism and even compile time
execution. Stability is something I care about deeply so you can
expect few to no deprecations over time after some initial
instability perhaps.

Feature set is not large and I'm not willing to add a whole lot
of "cool" convenience features besides what there already is, and
there is no support for either OO or functional style
programming.  However, I'm rather open to adding features that
unlock great performance benefits, such as intrinsics support.

The module system is similar to Rust and works nicely with
conditional compilation in that you can exclude entire modules
and directories and, unlike in Rust, use conditional symbols that
are automatically visible to all submodules.

The compiler frontend is about 34k lines of code, self hosting
and very fast.  LLVM is the backend, but with the MIR used in the
compiler, it's fairly straight forward to bolt on other backends.

Compiler source code:
https://github.com/tjhann/gordon

Website:
https://tjhann.github.io/gordon-web/

I don't know how to make websites... and I want a much lighter
background actually.

Take a look!  :)