[Semi-OT] Sdlang Initiative

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 18:01:54 UTC 2021

On 9/6/21 12:59 PM, SealabJaster wrote:
> https://github.com/SdlangInitiative
>
> Since SDLang is quite closely related to D, as D is one of the only real
> users of it, I felt this was "D appropriate" enough to post.
>
> I personally think SDLang is much better than the likes of JSON, XML,
> and YAML for human-centered configuration files, so I had a drive for a
> few days to implement a library for a few languages:
>
> * C# (done previously before this)
> * TS/JS (^^)
> * C
> * F#
> * I've also forked sdlite just so it shows up in the group
>
> And I wanted to get around to doing Python and Java before announcing
> anything.
>
> However, as usual, I've already lost interest in the project, so this
> mostly here for whoever's interested in it now, since I put a decent
> amount of work in already.

Yeah, I have that problem sometimes too...

But I actually am using sdlang-d for configuration files on my web
server. However, I do not like the interface for it very much. SDLang
itself is OK, but I find actually that I don't love the format. Like
yaml, I have to research how the file format works every time I want to
use it (maybe just because I very rarely have need to edit sdl files).
For that reason I prefer json, but I hate that json doesn't allow
comments and is full of quote spam (for config files).

I am planning at some point to replace the config system with a
[json5](https://json5.org/) implementation (based on jsoniopipe),
otherwise this would definitely interest me!

-Steve