Bison 3.8.1 released with D backend

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 14:48:06 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 13:24:25 UTC, Carl Sturtivant
wrote:

> The D back-end for deterministic parsers contributed by Adela
> Vais is now available with the release of Bison 3.8.1 !
>
> https://github.com/adelavais
>
> See https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=10047 for
> details.

I'm sorry for being ignorant, but what does it mean to have a
\<insert language\> back-end in Bison?

Does it mean that the parser program that `Bison` will output
will be a `.d` file?

Assuming I'm correct:

What does it matter whether the parser is a `.c .cpp .d .pl` or
whatever file?

I'm really sorry I'm coming off as abrasive/ungrateful. I have no
intention to belittle the author or the work she has done.

But I'm really curious: What changes if `Bison` outputs it's
parser in some language other than the one it originally
targeted(perhaps that was C?)

I'm really sorry if this appears dismissive, I just don't know
how to phrase it any better.